Rooting Xperia Play with XDA’s DoomLord One click root or manually, as you wish !
Hardware makers always put some control over the device by default. In order to operate these sub systems, the users have to go to the level of administrative permissions or take certain measures that would help them operate the device as they want. But generally, these solutions are not practical because the other operations that the users would need to perform in order to gain privileged control are normally not so easily accessible to them. With rooting on an Android phone, the user can eliminate or replace the operating system as a whole.
DoomLord One Click Root for Xperia Play
If you own Sony Xperia Play and are searching for a reliable rooting method then you can try one of the popular developer’s DoomLord One Click Root.
- Download DooMLoRD_v3_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip rooting tool from xda-developers.com
- Download Unrooting file too from dl.xda-developers.com if you want to unroot the device. It is important to note that you should unroot the device only when you have followed the rooting procedure given here or you have already rooted the phone with this process. You should be careful in regards to this or else the device may get bricked.
- Check out whether ADB is installed in your computer. If not check it out here.
How to Root Xperia Play with XDA’s DoomLord One Click Root
- On your device, you need to enable “USB Debugging” mode by going to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development
- Also enable “Unknown Sources” by going to Menu > Settings > Applications
- Now connect the phone to computer via USB cable.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on device.
- Now go to the folder where you extracted the downloaded content. Follow “RUNME.bat” and follow the instructions to get your Xperia Play rooted!
- On your phone, enable “USB Debugging” mode by going to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development
- Enable “Unknown Sources” by going to Menu > Settings > Applications
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on device.
- Now go to the folder where you extracted the downloaded content. Go for“”RUNME-UNROOT.bat” and follow the instructions to get your Xperia Play unrooted!
Disclaimer: This information has been produced with complete care for increasing the simplicity of the procedure. But in case if some issues occur after the phone update then the site should not be held responsible for this. If at all you face any issues, you can contact us and we will help you sort out the same. It is also vital to keep in mind that when rooting is done the device warranty gets void. And this means that the warranty is not to be considered then.
Rooting Xperia Play Manually
For manual method of Rooting Xperia Play, the first thing you need to do, is unlock the bootloader.
Now, when you unlock Bootloaders you will need fastboot and fastboot drivers. Thus, before you begin, download the following:
Extract the Temp Recovery image to the same directory as fastboot.
Installation of drivers
Switch off the phone first and with the phone off, hold the SEARCH button, and plug in the USB cable. Your PC will detect the device. Point the driver installation at the folder where you just extracted the Fastboot drivers.
If it installs your device as something random, go into Device Manager, click ‘Update Driver‘, then point it at the folder manually.
Now, navigate to the folder where you extracted Fastboot and the recovery images, and HOLD SHIFT and RIGHT CLICK anywhere in the background of the folder. Click ‘Open command window here‘.
In command prompt, type: fastboot devices
If it returns: Connected Devices: XXXXXXXXXXXXX (a series of digits), then your device has been recognised and your drivers are correctly installed.
If you unlock the boot loader then the warranty on your phone becomes void and this is something vital you should know.
Point to Remember
Unlocking boot loader is the procedure wherein post procedural complications may occur. This means that the content, contacts or settings in the phone may become inaccessible. It is therefore vital that when boot loader unlocking is done, before that data back up should be considered seriously. Again, you can go ahead with the procedure only when you have better technological and technical knowledge and you are ready to face the risk that is involved. It is also important to note that with unlocking the boot loader there won’t be any root access. Only when Custom ROM is flashed, you can expect the root access.
How to Unlock Xperia Play Boot Loader
- The first and the foremost thing that you need to do is, first check out whether your phone can undergo unlocking the boot loader or not. For that you should check the service menu. Open the dialer and *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
- In your phone, go to Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step
- If the Bootloader status is yes then turn on the computer and go to this page. In this link you will find Continue on the bottom of the page. Click on Continue.
- You will get a pop up window and it will ask whether you really want to unlock the boot loader. If you are sure then click Yes, I’m sure.
- Read all the details and accept the legal terms. Click I Accept.
- Fill in the details such as your name, e-mail address, the first 14 digits of your phone’s IMEI number and the two CAPTCHA words in the input boxes. Click Submit. You will now be able to view the IMEI number by entering *#06# on your phone.
- The unlock boot loader key is displayed. Save it for later use.
- Download and install the latest Android SDK and also download and unzip this file.
- Make sure you are running Google USB Driver package revision 4 or higher in your Android SDK.
- Since the file is unzipped you can place it in the usb_driver folder.
- Now switch off the phone.
- Now push and hold the unlock button *simultaneously when you connect the phone to the computer with the USB-cable.
- Now you should select the Android Boot loader Interface-file.
- Now you need to open a command window and go to the tools folder that is there in Android SDK folder.
- Enter fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version, and this will give you some response back and this means your phone is connected properly.
- Enter fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY, where KEY is the unlock boot loader key you got in the beginning of this instruction. The boot loader should now be successfully unlocked. This is the last and the most vital step. It will unlock the Xperia Play bootloader.Now you have your Xperia Play bootloader unlocked. When you unlock the boot loader you will be able to have Custom ROMs on your phone.
Continuing Rooting Xperia Play manual process..
- With the phone still in fastboot mode, simply type:fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.imgThen hit enter.
- The phone will boot into FreeXperia’s version of CWM. Navigate down to ‘Mounts and Storage‘ and select ‘Mount USB Storage‘. Once mounted, copy the RootXperia.zip which you can download from the downloads section at the top of this guide.
- Unmount USB storage, go back, and select ‘Install Zip from SDcard‘.
- Locate RootXperia.zip, and flash it.
- REBOOT the phone, and you have rooted the device!
Hope you liked these both ways of rooting Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Do comment if you tried any of the above methods.