Guide for Installing AOSP Android 4.0.4 ICS on Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon
It was a happy moment when international GSM version of Samsung Galaxy Nexus got an official update of Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4). But sadly, CDMA users of the same device felt a bit left out. Official update for Galaxy Nexus CDMA variant seems to be quite far. Thus, if you do not wish to wait till that time then we have an installation guide for flashing the AOSP ICS Android 4.0.4 ROM on the said handset.
Firstly, we would like to discuss the features and positives of this ROM. Well, with this update you will get a better screen rotation, better camera performance and enhanced stability. It is true that Verizon’s CDMA version of Samsung Galaxy Nexus is an amazing handset. But still, after AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) update your Verizon Galaxy Nexus CDMA i515 model will get an altogether better performance rating. So, feeling attracted towards this ROM? Well, before installing it, please go through the disclaimer:
Disclaimer: We have discussed the procedure to install Android 4.0.4 ROM on Verizon’s CDMA Samsung Galaxy Nexus with complete care. But still, the procedure may prove to be risky if you do not follow the instructions properly. We believe that you have marginal technical knowledge before you take up installing the ROM. We give credit for this ROM to RootzWiki developer birdman. But if while following this installation guide, if anything goes wrong, we shall not be responsible for that.
Pre-requisites before installing ICS on Galaxy Nexus
- The very first thing you must do is, take back up of the data, sms, bookmarks and applications.
- Also you need to get your Verizon CDMA Galaxy Nexus i515 with Clockworkmod recovery installed. With this we can easily wipe apps, data and settings.
- Also, do not forget to charge your handset to the extent of 60 percent. This is because, if the battery gets discharged in between the procedure, all your efforts will go waste.
Download latest ROM from here: Verizon Galaxy Nexus ICS
Also download Google apps package from here: Google apps pack
Download Super User Fix package from here for proper root access on ROM: Super User Fix
How to install ICS Android 4.0.4 on Verizon CDMA Galaxy Nexus i515
- Now, all the files that you have downloaded above should be transferred to internal SD card.
- Switch of your handset and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this you must press Power+Volume Up and Down all together. With this you will get into the Fastboot mode.
- Press Volume Up twice till you see Recovery selected.
- Now, press Power button to boot into recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- Now, you can take Nandroid back up of the ROM.
- Perform a factory reset or wipe now.
- Do a wipe data/factory reset
- Do wipe cache
- Also select advanced, and wipe dalvik cache. Once all the wipe is completed go back to main recovery menu.
- Now, from the SD card you can select install zip. Choose the ICS ROM zip file which we downloaded. Within the SD card go to ROM file and select the same. You will get some option. Select Yes for confirming the installation. You will see the action of Rom getting installed.
- The ICS ROM installation is over now. Now go to the main recovery menu and again within the SD card go and select the Google apps pack. Select gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package. After it gets done with the installation return back to main recovery menu.
- Now, again repeat the same step with the super user fix package zip file. After installation is over go back to the main recovery menu again.
- You can select Reboot the phone and boot into ROM. With this your Verizon Galaxy Nexus i515 is on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Hope you liked this early release of the ICS to your Verizon CDMA phone. Do comment below if you have any doubts regarding this.