Ice Cream Sandwich updates for Samsung Galaxy S2 devices are being rolled out location-wise. The inception began from Europe. Later developers came up and took over the task of porting the ICS update on other S2 devices. Now, the rocking news is, Skyrocket ICS has been ported to T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. The credit for this goes to a leading XDA member Racing19969. It is important to note that this ICS ROM can be applied only on T-Mobile Galaxy S2 and so it should not be tried on any other variant. If you are planning to install this ICS ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH T989 device then read the information as given below very carefully:
Disclaimer: Installing this ICS ROM on your S2 989 device may have a risk of bricking the phone or loss of data if you do not follow the instructions properly. We therefore recommend that only if you have a decent technical knowledge you must move ahead with the procedure. Also, we recommend you to take proper back up of applications, contacts and data so that in case, if any mishap occurs, you don’t have to bear the negative repercussions.
This ROM has a few issues like shut down and auto rotate not proper. Fixing these two issues is also quite simple. For fixing the auto rotate issue you have to go to settings and disable it. For solving shut down problem, you can remove battery or use the “adb reboot”.
Step by step instructions to install ICS on T-Mobile Galaxy SGH T989
- Firstly, you must take back up of all your applications. If you have rooted the phone then you can use Titanium back up or else Astro file manager can be used. For contacts, you can take back up on the SD card.
- You must also disable anti-virus suite and other security apps, so that it wont block background process running while installing the update. Read our Precaution article for more information.
- Do not forget to enable USB Debugging and this can be done in this way. On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > Development and ensure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Now, the main procedure begins. Download ICS ROM zip file from Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the root of your SD card. ( If you copy it in any folder then in the recovery mode you will find it very tough to locate the same)
- Now, moving further, you can boot into recovery mode. For this you will have to press 3 buttons at a time and they include Volume Up along with Volume Down and Power button. All three buttons should be pressed simultaneously.
- It is recommended that now you perform a nandroid backup. To do this, choose Backup and restore > nandroid backup > perform backup.
- Also, it would be apt to factory reset the handset and this can be done if you go back and select Wipe > Wipe all data/factory reset.
- Again select Wipe dalvik cache.
- Go back and select Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card and after that you need to make selection of the ROM zip file.
- Now, you will get some screen which will ask you to confirm. Confirm the same and flash the ROM.
- Go back and go for selection of Reboot system now.
Congratulations. You are successful. Your T-Mobile SGH-T989 Samsung Galaxy S2 is now updated to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)
We hope that this post was quite helpful to you. For further reference you can go to this link, XDA forum thread. If you face any problems then you can comment here and share your doubts with us. We will try our best to sort it out.